List the essential characteristics of a ventilator for use in the helicopter transport of a critically ill patient.
The essential characteristics of a transport ventilator for this role are :
• easily portable (weighing <5 kg)
• able to deliver air mix or 100% oxygen
• able to be triggered by the patient when time cycled
• consume only those gases equal to minute volume and therefore require minimum gas supply
• compact size
• able to ventilate a variety of patient sizes/ages
• have airway pressure and apnoea alarms built in
• able to use variable PEEP
Ideal range of features may include:
• Capability for a variety of modes eg SIMV, PSV
• Variable FiO2
This question is a direct rip-off of Table 4.2 (page 32) from Oh's Manual, "Features of an Ideal Transport Ventilator".
The features listed in this table include the following: