After being discovered at his rural property in an unconscious state, this elderly gentleman was intubated and brought to the ICU. Airway ulceration was noted by the rescuers. Apparently he intentionally drank an unknown amount of some unknown smelly liquid. Some sort of canister of chemicals was also discovered at the scene, but the ambulance officers were frightened by its abominable reek, and decided not to bring it (they had no equipment to handle hazardous chemicals).

Serum osmolality was 362. Urea was 12.0 and albumin was 40.

The gas presented below was taken while the ICU team were considering dialysis. At this stage, he was ventilated with a mandatory mode, with a minute volume in excess of 16L/min.

References

Takigawa, Tomoko, and Yoko Endo. "Effects of glutaraldehyde exposure on human health." Journal of occupational health 48.2 (2006): 75-87.

Beauchamp, Robert O., et al. "A critical review of the toxicology of glutaraldehyde." CRC Critical Reviews in Toxicology 22.3-4 (1992): 143-174.