The following is a reading list which is essential for preparing for all these "communications and ethics" SAQs, as well as the communication vivas in the CICM Fellowship Exam. These resources mainly consist of locally relevant policy documents and guidelines.
Essential material consists of:
- Educational Modules for the Critical Care Communication - Arnold et al
- The CEC Open Disclosure Handbook
- NSW Health: Conflict Resolution in End of Life Settings (2010)
- CICM: GUIDELINES FOR ASSISTING TRAINEES WITH DIFFICULTIES (T-13), 2010
- CICM: "Statement on withholding and withdrawing treatment (IC-14)".
- ANZICS: "Statement on Care and Decision Making at the End-of-Life for the Critically Ill"
Non-essential material consists of these chapters from Oh's Intensive Care manual (7th ed):
- Chapter 3 (pp. 16) Severity of illness and likely outcome from critical illness by Mark Palazzo
- Chapter 7 (pp. 55) Ethics in intensive care by Raymond F Raper and Malcolm M Fisher
- Chapter 11 (pp. 85) Palliative care by Sarah Cox and Neil Soni
- Chapter 12 (pp. 90) ICU and the elderly by Richard Keays
- Chapter 100 (pp. 1031) Organ donation by Stephen J Streat
- Chapter 111 (pp. 1140) Withholding and withdrawing life-sustaining medical treatment in children by James Tibballs