This is the so-called "Tiger Tube". Cook Medical have a nice propaganda poster about it. Also, somewhere else on this site is a brief summary of the routes of enteral nutrition. This item is for short term jejunal feeding. It is a 100-150cm long tube, wih soft barbs on it which facilitate its peristaltic advancement into position.
- Esophageal or gastric varices
- Bleeding diathesis
- Obstruction to passage
Recent nasal, oral, esophageal, or gastric surgery or trauma
- Ischemic bowel, peritonitis - ileus means no peristalsis
Methods of insertion
- Advance to 50-70cm
- Wait 30min
- Advance another 10cm, and repeat every 30 minutes until a depth of 100cm is achieved.
- 14 French diameter - nice and thick, which prevents clogging
- Depth markers every 10 cm
- Multiple side ports, to prevent clogging
- Stiffening internal cable -for ease of insertion (removed once the position is confirmed)